This feature is being released to select clinics on Thursday, February 6, 2020. General availability to all clinics is scheduled to occur within the two weeks following this date.
The File Vault is a new feature to securely store files for a single patient. The interface and features are similar to the Digital Library, but the intended use is different. In short:
- Digital Library is for sharing content clinic-wide or with a particular subset of users. As these items may be shared with multiple patients, content stored in and shared through the Digital Library must not contain Protected Health Information (PHI).
- File Vault is for storing and viewing patient-specific items. These items will only be viewable by coaches that have appropriate access to the patient
One important distinction is that Digital Library items can be shared with patients in the mobile app. Currently, items in the File Vault cannot be shared with patients, but are only accessible by coaches with appropriate access.
Where to Access
If available for your clinic, the File Vault is located on the Dashboard at the Patient Profile -> More tab -> File Vault tab.
Three different types of content may be added to the File Vault:
The following file types may are permitted to be added:
- PDF Documents (.pdf)
- Images (.jpeg, .jpg, .png)
- Word Documents (.doc, .docx)
- Excel Spreadsheets (.xls, .xlsx)
- PowerPoint Presentations (.ppt, .pptx)
- Plain Text (.txt)
- Rich Text (.rtf)
Any valid hyperlink that begins with http:// or https:// may be added.
- YouTube videos
Any public or unlisted YouTube video link may be added
Any coach account that has access to a patient may manage the content items inside the patient's File Vault. This includes the ability to add, rename, organize, and delete items. Regarding the security of individual items:
When uploaded in the File Vault, files are securely stored within CoachCare. When you click to view an item in the File Vault, the file will be opened in your web browser. The web link (URL) shown in the web browser for that piece of content must not be shared with any other user, and will only remain valid for 15 minutes. To view the piece of content again, open its link again in the File Vault table listing.
- Hyperlinks and YouTube Videos
It is important to note that by their nature, hyperlinks and YouTube videos are publicly-accessible resources. When adding these items to the File Vault, you are simply storing the web link (URL) to these pieces of content in a secure fashion. The File Vault does not intercept or add any security layer to the actual URL.
In addition to content, folders can also be added to the File Vault. Each Folder is given a name and an optional description, and can be arranged in a hierarchical fashion. As desired, content items (and other folders for that matter) can be stored inside of folders to organize the File Vault.
- Add content (file, hyperlink, youtube video) by clicking the "Add Content" button
- Add a folder by clicking the "New Folder" button
- Update the name or description of an item by clicking the "edit" icon (the first icon)
- Organize items by either dragging-and-dropping or using the "move" icon (the second icon)
- Open items by clicking the "preview" icon (the third icon)
- Delete items by clicking the "delete" icon (the fourth icon)
File Vault in Multi-Clinic Organizations
The CoachCare platform allows patient and coach accounts to be associated to multiple clinics. An additional clinic selection in the File Vault must be made in cases where a coach and patient share more than one clinic association.
For these scenarios, it is helpful to think of items in the File Vault as a series of per-clinic collections. Each collection is stored, for security reasons, within a specific clinic for that patient. So, a single patient may have multiple collections. In practice:
- When a coach gains access to that clinic, they may manage (view, add, delete) the items within that collection
- When a coach's access is removed for that clinic, they lose access to the items within that collection.
The clinic selector is located at the upper left hand side of the File Vault. In the screenshot below the clinic named "Test clinic" is selected. Changing that selection will show the File Vault items ("collection") for the selected clinic.